“G. Montanari” civic theater
Built in 1878, it is one of Piedmont's historic theaters.
The municipal theater stands majestically in Piazza Garibaldi.
This building was also part of the Castle complex and has known different identities.
It originally served as a military chapel and was called the Church of the Madonna, since inside there was a splendid figure of the Holy Virgin. In addition, its outbuildings housed the city salt depot.
After the castle was demolished around 1870, it assumed the function of a small theater, very different from what it appears today.
In the 1950s, on the wave of modernity, it was converted into a cinema and subsequently experienced a period of decline during which it hosted a red light venue. The decline was not only of fame but also structural.
The indispensable restoration was the work of the guided administration of the administration led by Dr. Micco and Avv. Lusona in the mid-70s with the construction supervision of Eng. Lanfrancone, who with courage and foresight, in defiance of criticism,understood the importance for Moncalvo of possessing a small but functional theater.. How can we not be grateful to him for this wonderful gift and for the careful choice of furnishings and details.
During the year it hosts he dialect theater review, one of the few still active on the regional territory.
The prose season is also noteworthy, as well as numerous musical and dancing shows, with prestigious guests.
Comune di Moncalvo
Fondazione Piemonte dal Vivo
- Teatro Civico Moncalvo
GAL BMA - Gruppo di Azione Locale del Basso Monferrato Astigiano
- Comune di Moncalvo (AT)