Castle of the Marquises of Monferrato (Castello dei Marchesi del Monferrato)
Castle built in the 14th century.
Today it hosts cultural events and, in the keep, civil weddings are celebrated.
Those who have already been to Moncalvo know that the Castle is part of the city's identity.
The earliest document indicating the existence of the castle is a donation to the Lucedio abbey dating back to 1133.
However, the building to which this donation refers is not the castle that has come down to the present day.
The construction of the current Moncalvo castle is in fact to be placed in the early fourteenth century.
Its towers, which survived countless sieges during the Frank-Spanish war of the seventeenth century, today offer panoramic viewpoints on both the hills and the town, and its walkways an experience in the medieval soul of the city.
The first fortifications were erected by the Graffagni family, a branch of the Visconti del Monferrato, as the first defensive work on the hill that stood between the borders between the committees of Torresana-Monferrato and Asti.
Of course, the Castle had a very different structure from the one we know today, as ancient maps in the historical archives reveal.
The north side in the direction of today's Via Frinco, housed the sacred Gonzaga chapel, while today there is no trace of this building.
In the first two centuries of life the castle mainly assumed a residential function being one of the main headquarters of the Marquis of Monferrato.
Around the middle of the 16th century, the castle structure gradually changed as its housing function was replaced by purely defensive functions.
With the passage of the city of Moncalvo under the dominion of the Savoy, the castle no longer held any importance from a strategic - defensive point of view and began to talk about the destruction of its remains.
In the nineteenth century, the ancient castle, witness of many centuries of history, gradually fell into disrepair and Napoleon in 1812 granted it in partial emphyteusis to the Municipality that will definitively buy it in 1858 for the sum of 4000 lire.
In 1878 the Municipality decided to demolish most of the castle's remains to make way for a large square, suitable for the development of markets and fairs, surrounded by an arcade to reduce the ventilation that would sweep it away.
What remains today are the two imposing towers overlooking Piazza Antico Castello, connected by the recently restored walkways.
The first tower currently houses La Bottega del Vino di Moncalvo while the other is used as a room for conferences or, on request, as a wedding venue.
The walkways are the evocative path that unites them, and since October 2019 they have been home to the tourist office.
Local themed photographic exhibitions are organized periodically in both the walkways and the keep.
Civil weddings are also held in the keep.
Associazione Culturale "Guglielmo Caccia 'detto il Moncalvo' e Orsola Caccia" ETS APS
- Il castello di Moncalvo
- Torrione e camminamenti del Castello di Moncalvo
- MONCALVO (resti del castello Marchesi del Monferrato, palazzi, mura)
GAL BMA - Gruppo di Azione Locale del Basso Monferrato Astigiano
- Comune di Moncalvo (AT)